Sunday, March 22, 2015

An exercise in organization

This week we researched the role of organization in design an instructional messageAfter reading and researching I again applied what I learned to developing a lesson to teach my family better relationships communication skills. My children are young and new to the world of psychology, so I continue keeping it simple. Again I wanted to focus on more of the "remedies." I thought it could be beneficial to explain this in an alternate way, using an organizational chart, but that could also serve as a sort of clear overview of both problems and solutions. 

At first I had the graphic oriented portrait. Because I had so many concepts in the middle (problems and solutions) I decided to orient it landscape instead. I also thought it simply might look nicer. I added circles to try to help chunk the information (Lohr , 2008, p. 137) as well as the representation of the "problem words" that I had created previously, to be more visual and, consequently, more effective (Lohr , 2008, p. 149).

My wife critiqued it by saying the lines should have arrows (initially they did not). Because arrows strengthen relationships by showing cause and effect (Lohr , 2008, p. 146), I thought that was a great suggestion and the graphic now reflects that change. 

Lohr, L. (2008). Creating graphics for learning and performance: Lessons in visual literacy (Second ed.). Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Merrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment